Claims that Dominic Cummings broke lockdown twice are ‘not true’, Grant Shapps says

Transport Secretary Grant Shapps has told Sky News claims Boris Johnson’s top adviser broke the lockdown twice are “not true”.

The prime minister’s right-hand man had already admitted that he drove 260 miles from London to Durham with his wife and young son in late March to self-isolate at a family property despite strict restrictions against long-distance journeys.

Now, the Sunday Mirror and The Observer claim he made a second trip to Durham and was seen there on 19 April – five days after being photographed in Downing Street on his return to Westminster.

Asked about the fresh allegations, Mr Shapps told Sophy Ridge on Sunday: “I certainly know that the first one you mention, of travelling back up (to Durham), I know that is not true.

“I’m afraid I don’t know (about Barnard Castle) but if that date was true that would have been outside the 14-day period. But I’m afraid I don’t have the information on that.

“But I do know it is not the case that he has travelled backwards and forwards, which seemed to be a major part of the stories I saw in the paper today.”

Source: Read Full Article