Amanda Knox reunites with ex-lover 15 years on from Meredith Kercher murder

  • Bookmark
  • Don’t miss a thing! Sign up to the Daily Star’s newsletter

    We have more newsletters

    Amanda Knox has reunited with her ex-lover in Italy after 15 years since the pair were arrested following the grisly murder of Meredith Kercher.

    The former couple were spotted in the picturesque town of Gubbio, Italy, which they had planned to visit before they were arrested following the death of Kercher.

    Kercher, a 21-year-old student, had been found dead in her bedroom with her throat cut and signs of sexual assault, The Mirror reported.

    READ MORE: Shocking scenes as bodies of the dead line the street after tragic Halloween stampede

    Knox and ex-lover Reafaele Sollecito were planning on enjoying a trip dated back to November 2, 2007, but were arrested alongside a bloke who ran a local bar.

    Knox, then 20, and Sollecito, then 23, were twice convicted of the murder and twice cleared, before their convictions were finally annulled by Italy's supreme court in 2015.

    Judges ruling in the supreme court case said there were a number of flaws in the investigation, including a lack of DNA evidence.

    Despite Knox and Sollecito not seeing each other for over a decade, the pair kept in touch, Sollecito said.

    Speaking of the messages and the "bitter" tribulations they were put through during their court cases, Sollecito said that the investigation had not "wanted to realise our innocence".

    • Naked teacher caught having sex with a building as he exposed himself to residents

    Sollecito added: "It has been very hard for me. I have had so many problems getting jobs, with big companies looking me up online and reading about the investigation. But I am just a normal engineer.

    "In the early days of the trial, I wrote [Meredith's] parents a letter saying I was confident that it would be clarified with me and Amanda, that I felt bad for what happened, to wish them well and for the truth to come out about the case."

    Despite passing the letter of condolence onto his lawyer, Sollecito says he did not hear back from the family, but did recall a "weird" experience with a girl who "wanted to date me" because she thought he was guilty.

    Both Knox and Sollecito were cleared of all charges in 2015, with Rudy Guede convicted of the murder, released after a 16-year sentence.

    • Harry 'doesn't want war' with King Charles as 'grenade effect' would distract Sussexes

    Returning to Guibbo, Sollecito said the trip was "bitter-sweet" and joined Knox and her family on their trip to Italy.

    He said of the trip: "There was also something very light about it, Ms Knox saying 'Why don’t we go back to Gubbio?' She was saying we can go after all this time with her family and I could see they were planning a lot to do there.

    "It was bitter-sweet to go back as we were supposed to go there in such different circumstances, but it was just nice for us to be able to talk about something that wasn’t the case."

    For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.

    READ NEXT:

    • Prince William 'has barely spoken to Harry since upcoming memoir announcement'
    • Vladimir Putin may not last to the end of the war in Ukraine, says spy chief
    • Post Office robber branded 'stupid' over using a Sainsbury's carrier bag as disguise
    • Family
    • Murder
    • In the News

    Source: Read Full Article