Bombshell evidence casts doubt over Meghan Markle letter ruling, lawyers say

Meghan Markle's letter to her estranged father was written with “public consumption” a “possibility”, lawyers for the Mail On Sunday publisher have argued.

The newspaper's publisher, Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL), is appealing against a decision regarding its publication of a letter from the Duchess of Sussex to her father Thomas Markle.

Previously, a High Court judge decided that the publication of the letter was "unlawful" after Meghan, 40, sued the publication for printing parts of a “personal and private” letter addressed to her 77-year-old father.

However, ANL has launched an appeal citing new evidence from Jason Knauf, former communications secretary to the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.

The evidence suggests that Meghan had suspected before sending the letter to her father that it may be shared with the media by Mr Markle.

As reported by The Mirror, Andrew Caldecott QC, representing the publisher, told the Court of Appeal: “We read the judgment as implicitly accepting that the letter was crafted as an intimate communication for her father's eyes only.

“The fundamental point turns out to be false on the new evidence. The letter was crafted specifically with the potential of public consumption in mind because the claimant appreciated Mr Markle might disclose it to the media."

Meghan claimed the five articles in relation to the letter, which were published in print and online in February 2019, misused private information.

She said the publication of the letter infringed on her copyright and breached the Data Protection Act.

Meghan previously won her case earlier this year after Lord Justice Warby ruled that ANL's publication of the letter to her Mr Markle was "manifestly excessive and hence unlawful".

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.

The ruling also avoided the need for a trial.

In March, ANL was ordered to print a statement on the front page of the Mail On Sunday and a notice on page three to state Meghan’s copyright had been “infringed”.

The statement has yet to be published while the appeal is pending.

Source: Read Full Article