Carer penniless after blowing life savings to save dog puking up black liquid

A carer facing thousands in vet bills has issued a desperate plea after using her life savings to save her dog when he began vomiting 'black liquid'.

Kasia Wawrzyniak, 33, returned from a walk in Leith Links, Edinburgh, with her beloved Staffordshire Bull Terrier Gonzo when he became gravely unwell on February 19.

Much to her horror, Kasia realised in the early hours of the Sunday morning that her five-year-old beloved pet was bringing up 'pure black' liquid, the Daily Record reports.

And Gonzo's condition only got worse, as Kasia later noticed his faeces had also turned 'totally black'.

Kasia, who works as a carer, said: "He was vomiting in the house and it was pure black, then when he went to the toilet it turned totally black, too.

"It was really scary, there was just black liquid. I was thinking ‘is that black or am I just imagining that?’

"Before that happened, there weren't any symptoms that suggested something was seriously wrong."

Gonzo was rushed to Braid Vets Hospital where it was suggested that he could have eaten rat poison or another toxic substance.

Despite undergoing tests, a heartbroken Kasia could see Gonzo's condition was not improving.

"We were told on the third day that he was still not doing any good. We thought they were asking us to go and see our dog for the last time", she recalls.

"His face was very swollen, it was double the size of what it looks like normally."

  • Royal family's favourite dog breeds – and it's not just The Queen's corgis

Kasia and her husband chose to move Gonzo to the specialist Dick Vet Hospital for Small Animals to try and find answers.

The couple knew they would face a hefty bill amounting to thousands but were determined to save their pet.

Tests established that Gonzo was suffering from an internal bleed and the five-year-old underwent a blood transfusion.

After a further three days in hospital, Gonzo was finally discharged.

Vets have since told his owners they suspected Gonzo's bleeding was due to damage to his stomach/intestinal lining.

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.

It's believed he ingested a toxin or foreign object – but have not yet been able to rule out inflammation or cancer in the stomach or intestine lining.

Kasia has been left with a four-figure vet bill for Gonzo's countless tests and the treatment he received.

The couple, who don't have children and say Gonzo is their 'baby', paid out around £3,000 upfront and still has more to pay.

The cost has depleted the couple's savings, who have been left with no safety net.

Kasia admits she wishes she had insured Gonzo when she had the chance and not put it off. The family has now launched a fundraiser to help with a portion of the cost.

Source: Read Full Article