Dog trainer heartbroken as her pooches die hours after licking broken snow globe

  • Bookmark
  • Sign up to TeamDogs for the best dog news, pictures and stories.

    We have more newsletters

    A dog trainer has been left devastated by the sudden deaths of her two canines who licked up a smashed snow globe.

    Caroline Osbourn is now warning fellow dog owners to get rid of snow globes ,which contain anti-freeze – a toxic substance for pooches.

    The 46-year-old had worked hard to puppy-proof her home for playful 17-week-old Labrador Milo but nothing could have prepared her for a Christmas decoration to come crashing down.

    READ MORE: Mum has her lips ripped off by 'usually friendly Labrador' in horror mauling

    Caroline heard a crash coming from her kitchen on Monday (December 5) and despite rushing in as quickly as she could to see what it was, sadly she was too late to save both Milo and seven-year-old rescue, Lexi.

    The pair were lapping up the liquid from a toppled photo snow globe, which Caroline described as feeling both "oily and sticky" as she frantically tried to clean up the mess.

    Caroline, from Rayleigh, Essex, said: "I just can't believe. I really can't. It all happened so fast.

    A quick search online found the spherical trinkets often contain anti-freeze, which according to The Kennel Club, can taste 'irresistible' to dogs despite it being extremely poisonous.

    The liquid is known to cause in dogs brain, lung and kidney damage.

    • Bloke filmed in viral Liverpool sex act with woman 'on her knees' finally admits crime

    After a call with an animal toxicology team, Caroline rushed her two dogs to the vet where they were given medication to make them sick before being put on a drip – with the business owner certain they would be okay.

    But the following day, the mum-of-two was forced to say goodbye to both of her adored pets after they died six hours apart.

    Now, Caroline is urging all dog owners to throw out their snow globes to avoid their own animals facing a similar heartbreaking fate.

    Caroline said: "In our house we have three dogs. One was upstairs asleep.

    • Girl found clinging to her mum's dead body after horror landslide kills at least 34

    "We've got Milo the puppy and have gates everywhere. They were in our kitchen diner and we've puppy proofed everything.

    "The Christmas tree was in the living room and there was nothing I thought they could hurt themselves on.

    "I heard a smash and came running through. It didn't look like Lexi had actually had any but she died first.

    "As I grabbed the snow globe and was trying to mop it up, Milo ran to where it fell off the shelf and I saw him licking. There was a big puddle of it there and he'd licked that puddle.

    For more incredible stories from the Daily Star, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here

    "I called the vets and they said I had to ring a toxicology helpline. They said I needed to get them to the vets immediately."

    After giving Milo and Lexi vodka as an antidote to the anti-freeze they had consumed, the pooches were both monitored overnight and Caroline claims she was sure they would be fine.

    But the following morning she received the call to come and say her goodbyes to Lexi, who sadly died before she could get to the vets, before losing Milo just six hours later.

    READ NEXT:

    • Man 'has sex with mate's dog in public' before destroying church nativity scene
    • Schoolgirl, 11, rushed to hospital with broken bones after vicious dog attack

    • Pit bull that savaged family's pet pooch 'still on the loose and will attack again'

    • Animals
    • Christmas
    • Family
    • Dogs

    Source: Read Full Article