Over the last 18 months, we have all come to appreciate supermarket workers more than ever before as they kept the country running every single day during lockdown.
But pandemic aside, it has never been an easy job – with workers having to stack shelves, work on tills, check stock, mop up spillages and deal with members of the public.
While we hope that all customers are polite to supermarket staff, it is likely that not everyone is understanding of their tough job.
According to one former Tesco employee, some people can be downright awful.
Speaking to Kent Live, the ex-worker lifted the lid on things they'd love to say to shoppers – but if they want to keep their job, they'd best keep quiet.
While some quips are funny, and probably something we can all relate to, others are very insightful.
1. I know we open in three minutes, but I can't unlock the doors just because you're standing there
You're early, and that's great. But we open at 7am, and that means opening at 7am. I know it might be raining and cold outside, and I'm sorry about that. But looking at me with a face like thunder isn't going to speed this process up.
2. Huffing and puffing in the queue won't make me go any quicker on the checkouts
It's a busy shop and it takes time to get through all the customers. I'm not doing this on purpose.
3. The dread of having to ID someone – before finding out they're 30
Please take it as a compliment that I'm asking you to prove your age, rather than an insult. I'm not doing this for fun, it's just my job.
For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.
4. The Tesco fleeces are so incredibly comfortable
They might not be the most flattering item of clothing, but they're incredibly warm for when we have to work in the freezer section – not to mention walking to work in the winter.
5. Feeling like watched prey as you take the reduced stickers to the packs of mince
6. The mindless game you play trying to squeeze another box of dolly mix on the shelf so you can finally get it out of the cage
We all know those huge cages can get in the way, but getting the products off them is the real task.
Prince Harry flustered as he's called 'hot' by Kristen Bell after sports bra encounter
7. Trust me, I don't have free Tesco Meal Deals for lunch
More often than not, we end up opting for Tesco Value Everyday Value thick sliced bread that was left over in the staff room by the managers.
8. The eye roll when a customer begs with you to knock pennies off an item
The last box of 10 pack fish fingers has been opened – it's probably just a damaged box but hey, I'll knock 10 per cent off to avoid the drama.
9. We don't have any responsibility over the decision to charge 5p for carrier bags
Charging for carrier bags is saving the planet, and not something we should be complaining about. But even if you are annoyed about the charge, there's nothing I can do about it.
Gay bar school trip sparks fury as teachers accused of 'grooming the kids'
10. Clocking onto loyal customers' routines
That's right, Barbara. I see you doing the weekly shop at 7pm every Wednesday.
11. Trust me, no one hates the self service tills more than me
And impatiently waving your product in front of the scanner isn't going to make my life any easier.
I hold the power to unlock these bad boys, and the red light flashing above you has already told me you need my help.
Source: Read Full Article