Don’t miss a thing by getting the Daily Star’s biggest headlines straight to your inbox!
Gatwick Airport is the scene of an "ongoing" emergency after reports of an apparent "bomb threat".
Police have confirmed the emergency was not drone-related.
BBC Journalist Poppy Jeffery said on Twitter that an "apparent bomb threat was made this morning to a Turkish Airlines flight."
They added that the "threat was not credible and they say there was minimal disruption to services."
Gatwick Airport said in a statement: "Sussex Police are currently dealing with an ongoing incident at Gatwick Airport. We will release more information in due course but it is not related to a drone incident."
It comes as passengers reported being "stuck" on the runway earlier on Sunday.
Journalist Antonello Guerrera took to Twitter to say his flight to Rome was being held before takeoff.
He said: "We’ve just been told by the plane captain that we cannot take off because there is an 'ongoing emergency' at Gatwick Airport."
He later added: "I am now told that the reason why we are stuck *might* be an ongoing 'emergency landing' involving a Turkish airline aircraft in Gatwick.
Omicron will hospitalise 'record number' of Brits unless UK locks down, expert warns
"A captain of another stuck aircraft told instead about 'possible debris on the runaway'. Confusing reports."
Another Twitter user, Dr Eka Iakobishvili, claimed she had "special forces and machine guns" surrounding her plane.
She said: "Hi there, we are stuck in the aircraft with special forces and machine guns surrounding the plane. Can you tell what is happening? Thanks."
In a further update she claimed the incident was related to a "very serious security threat" – but there is no confirmation of this.
She said: "Very serious security threat. Took almost five hours to screen people and bags… no threat was found. Police handled it well."
To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.
Source: Read Full Article