Harry and Meghan brand apology for Jeremy Clarkson column a PR stunt

  • Bookmark
  • Don’t miss a thing! Sign up to the Daily Star’s newsletter

    We have more newsletters

    The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have reacted angrily to an apology by The Sun newspaper for a controversial column written by Jeremy Clarkson in which he said he "hated" Meghan on a "cellular level".

    Clarkson wrote that Meghan should be paraded through the streets naked in the article, which attracted a barrage of condemnation and was removed from The Sun's website on Monday – with an apology coming a further four days later.

    A spokeswoman for Harry and Meghan branded the newspaper's apology “nothing more than a PR stunt”.

    READ MORE: Meghan's 'weird new title' would totally confuse Americans if 'Duchess' removed

    A statement from a spokesperson for The Duke and Duchess of Sussex shared with the PA news agency on Saturday, said: "The fact that the Sun has not contacted The Duchess of Sussex to apologise shows their intent.

    "This is nothing more than a PR stunt. While the public absolutely deserves the publication's regrets for their dangerous comments, we wouldn't be in this situation if The Sun did not continue to profit off of and exploit hate, violence and misogyny.

    "A true apology would be a shift in their coverage and ethical standards for all. Unfortunately, we're not holding our breath."

    Jeremy Clarkson originally tweeted a sort-of apology earlier this week (December 19), after his own daughter Emily spoke out against the former Top Gear host.

    He tweeted: "Oh dear – I’ve rather put my foot in it. In a column I wrote about Meghan.

    "I made a clumsy reference to a scene in Game of Thrones and this has gone down badly with a great many people.

    • Harry and Meghan 'have backed themselves into a corner' with 'refugee royals' brand

    "I’m horrified to have caused so much hurt and I shall be more careful in future."

    And the Sun said in a statement released on Friday evening: "“Columnists’ opinions are their own, but as a publisher, we realise that with free expression comes responsibility.

    To get more stories from Daily Star delivered straight to your inbox sign up to one of our free newsletters here.

    “We at the Sun regret the publication of this article and we are sincerely sorry. The article has been removed from our website and archives.

    “The Sun has a proud history of campaigning, from Help for Heroes to Jabs Army and Who Cares Wins, and over 50 years of working in partnership with charities, our campaigns have helped change Britain for the better.”

    READ NEXT:

    • Charles and William 'could open Pandora's Box by exposing Prince Harry' warns expert

    • King Charles 'throws disgraced brother Prince Andrew out of Buckingham Palace'

    • Meghan Markle and Princess Eugenie 'have an unbreakable bond' and 'regularly FaceTime'

    • Harry and Meghan 'have backed themselves into a corner' with 'refugee royals' brand

    • Breaking News
    • Meghan Markle
    • Prince Harry
    • Royal Family

    Source: Read Full Article