A heartbroken dog owner has claimed that her puppy choked to death on a biscuit on top of a puppuccino bought at Starbucks.
Megan Harrison, 24, visited the coffee chain in Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire, on September 7 and bought the treat for her three dogs.
Shortly afterwards 18-week-old Bonnie was found dead, leaving Megan devastated and “absolutely disgusted” by Starbucks' response as she feels they only seemed bothered about securing her future custom.
The 24-year-old is now speaking out about her ordeal to warn dog owners not to put biscuits on puppuccinos, a cup of whipped cream served by the chain especially for dogs.
Megan, from Crewe, said: "It's so heartbreaking, I'll never really be over it.
"She's had them [cream-only puppuccinos] before. This was the first time it had a biscuit with it."
Megan says Bonnie was in the kitchen when she demolished the whipped cream treat while she was in the living room.
She said: "She had the puppuccino, ate the biscuit, went to go and get a drink of water and then she lay in her bed and obviously that's when she died, she choked but it was silent.
"Her tongue was out and eyes were open, I knew that she'd gone. My partner put his fingers down her throat to try and get the biscuit. We managed to pull this big chunk of biscuit out, it was bitten in half, but it was still jammed in her throat.
Harry and Meghan did William a 'favour' by ‘jumping ship’, claims royal author
"We tried doing CPR. We did everything we could do for her but there was nothing that we could actually do."
Megan called the emergency vet before contacting Starbucks to let them know what happened.
The devastated dog owner said: "All we wanted was to make sure that it didn't happen to any other dogs because what happened to me, I wouldn't wish it on anyone. It was heartbreaking.
Meghan Markle’s brother says dad Thomas Sr didn’t approve of husband Prince Harry
"I've spoken to Starbucks and to be honest, I'm absolutely disgusted with them.
"It wasn't like 'oh, I'm really sorry that this has happened', it felt more like 'I'm really sorry but what can we do to get you back in store?' That's all they seemed bothered about and it angered me so much.”
Devastated Megan said she was offered a £250 gift card to spend in-store, but feels she wasn't given a sincere apology.
Death row inmates suing over being told they'll die hours before execution
Megan said: "When I lost her my mental health just plummeted.
"I tried telling Starbucks this but all they offered me was a £250 gift card and I'm not being funny but she's worth more than £250 worth of coffee.
"I emailed them back and said 'I don't want a gift card for your store because I'm not going to be a customer again, it's pointless'.
WW3 fears grow as North Korea has 'access to more uranium for nuclear weapons'
"I haven't even had a sincere apology from them or anything, that's all I would have really wanted to be honest. That would have been more than enough for me."
Megan is now urging the chain to put puppucinos on the menu so that staff and customers know exactly what's in them.
A Starbucks spokesperson said: "Our partners are really upset to hear about the customer's loss, the customer and her dogs are known and well-loved in our store.
"Puppuccinos are not an official item on the Starbucks UK menu. If customers request the item we have a 'make every moment right' policy and offer them free of charge."
To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.
A spokesperson for Purina, who manufactured the biscuit Bonnie chocked on, said: "We would like to pass on our sincere condolences to the owners of the puppy.
"We know that the loss of a pet in any circumstances is heartbreaking and the health and wellbeing of pets is our number one priority.
"We don't supply dog biscuits to restaurants and cafés and we would not recommend serving treats to pets in a way that leaves owners unable to see the feeding guidelines on pack.”
Source: Read Full Article