Man suffers horrific burns after stepping on hot sand where barbecue had been

The Daily Star’s FREE newsletter is spectacular! Sign up today for the best stories straight to your inbox

A man has suffered horrendous burns to his foot after he stepped on "absolutely scorching" sand where a disposable barbecue had been.

Danny Howard, 33, experienced "the most excruciating pain" he ever felt in his life, saying the heat had "melted" his skin, Wales Online reports

The shocking incident happened at Barmouth Beach in Wales but Danny had to drive two hours to Chester for treatment.

He has since been receiving morphine for the pain and is nursing his horrific wound at home.

Danny is now urging people to be aware of the dangers of disposable barbecues on sandy beaches, especially if young children are walking around.

Self-employed plasterer Danny decided to visit the beach at the last minute with his family to make the most of the good weather conditions.

The accident happened an hour into their family trip.

Danny said: "We got to the beach, carted a load of stuff over the dunes, and set up a little tent.

"We got a couple of disposable barbecues out, cooked all the food, and I decided to move the barbecues to a bit of a safer distance – but obviously not realising that the sand had accumulated all the heat of the barbecue.

"I stood on the sand where the barbecue was within an hour of being there."

Speaking about the pain he suffered, Danny added: ""On a scale of one to ten, I’d put it at 25."

Though the barbecue trays – which had been burning for about 45 minutes – were cold by the time Danny moved them, he said that all of the heat of the coal had been transferred to the sand.

  • Harry and Meghan's daughter named Lilibet Diana in sweet nod to Queen and Prince's mum

When he got to the hospital, medics cut away the thick blister that had formed. The hot sand had seared through two layers of his skin.

After being bandaged up he was sent home with ibuprofen and paracetamol. But these medicines did nothing to reduce the unbearable pain, which he said has nearly left him in tears.

"I had to go back the next day because the pain was excruciating.

"They re-bandaged it and there was thickening, forming a hole in the centre. Thickening is what they call a fourth degree burn."

  • Family
  • Hospital

Source: Read Full Article