A bloke who lost everything in a devastating flat fire claims his local council put him up in graffiti-clad accommodation that was “like a crack den”.
Youth worker Nathan Carlin, from Rotherham, has been made homeless after a freak blaze erupted at his home on November 19.
The kind-hearted community member had been working with vulnerable young kids when the inferno engulfed his flat.
By the time the 31-year-old had scrambled home it was too late – he had to watch his home burn, in which his three cats were also killed.
It’s understood the fire, only weeks before Christmas, was caused by a faulty microwave, YorkshireLive reported.
Now, Mr Carlin has hit out at his local council after he has been left bedding in hotel rooms and temporary accommodation he dubbed a ‘crack den’.
The flat in the Munsbrough area of the town has no carpets and Nathan has been told he can't decorate, even though there is graffiti on the walls.
He said: "I have just lost everything in a fire and I thought the temporary accommodation would be alright and I could get back on my feet from there.
Debenhams to 'wind down' as JD Sports rescue breaks down and 12,000 jobs at risk
"But its near Christmas and I have been shoved in a disgusting flat in a bad area and told that I will be here for five months.
"There's no furniture, carpets and there is graffiti on the walls but I have been told I can't decorate as it is only temporary.
"I can only describe the place that they offered to me as like a crack den.
"I refused it as it is just not fit to live in so the council have been arranging hotel rooms for me as I just can't stay there.
Dad fell 10m to his death after jumping over airport barrier, inquest told
"I don't want to stay with anyone because I am at my lowest and it's not fair on others. It's a time to be joyful and at the minute I'd be more like Scrooge.
"After everything I have been through and losing everything through no fault of my own, I just thought that the council would treat me better than this."
Meanwhile, well-wishers have clubbed together to raise some cash for the homeless community worker.
Friends and strangers have managed to raise £1,380 to replace some of the items that perished in the fire.
Christmas bubbles could stay together for longer with travel loophole
The council has arranged a hotel for him to stay in until December 4.
Rotherham Council’s Assistant Director for Housing, Tom Bell, told YorkshireLive: “We are aware of the fire at the tenant’s property, and he has been supported by housing staff during this difficult time.
"An alternative property was found at short notice, which was within a short distance from his previous home. This was offered to him as a temporary solution, with advice being given with regard to redecoration and assistance available for furnishings.
"However, he later declined the property offer. We apologise for the poor condition of the property presented to the tenant.
"We’re aware that one wall within the flat contained a motif, which should have been removed as part of our property reletting process.
“The tenant has now been provided with temporary hotel accommodation by the Homelessness Service, who will be supporting him to find alternative accommodation.
Source: Read Full Article