Men held at Stansted under Terrorism Act after armed police swarm Ryanair flight

The Daily Star’s FREE newsletter is spectacular! Sign up today for the best stories straight to your inbox

A man from Kuwait and another from Italy have been held under the terrorism act after armed police were sent to a plane landing at Stansted Airport last night.

RAF Typhoon fighter jets had been scrambled to intercept and escort the Ryanair flight from Vienna after a crew on the Lauda aircraft had "alerted of a potential security threat on board".

Essex Police have since confirmed that a 34-year-old from Kuwait and a 48-year-old from Italy were detained last night.

A spokesperson for the force said" "Counter Terrorism Policing officers from the Eastern Region Special Operations Unit have this evening (Sunday) detained two men under Schedule 7 of the Terrorism Act (2000).

"Enquiries are ongoing."

RAF Typhoon jets were called in with armed personnel reportedly surrounding the passenger plane and then coming on board after it touched down on the runway around 7.20pm.

A Ryanair spokesperson said: "In line with procedures, the captain informed UK authorities and continued to London Stansted, where the aircraft landed normally and taxied to a remote stand where passengers disembarked safely.

"Passengers in London Stansted waiting to depart to Vienna were transferred to a spare aircraft to minimise the delay to their flight.

"This is now a matter for the local police."

Passenger Joanna Czechowska tweeted officers boarded and took away two men after the flight from the Austrian capital, in what she described as a "scary" incident.

"They told us to put our seat belts back on," she added.

As the flight came into land, the two Typhoons circled the airport.

An RAF spokesperson told Daily Star Online: "Typhoon fighter aircraft from RAF Coningsby were launched this evening to intercept a civilian aircraft. The aircraft was escorted safely to Stansted."

A passenger on the grounded plane tweeted: "Our plane is being held with armed police all round."

Police were reportedly responding to an urgent call-out, known as a Quick Reaction Alert, which scrambled the jets.

It is believed the jets headed back towards Cheltenham to be refuelled, before appearing to return towards base at RAF Coningsby.

The aircraft carrying the passengers was then reportedly parked in a "remote area" on arrival at Stansted and several people were told to "put their seat belts back on."

Passenger Joanna Czechowska said: "We have been here for an hour now.

"They told us to put our seat belts back on, we are parked in a remote area."

  • Ryanair
  • London
  • Terror
  • Police

Source: Read Full Article