Mum furious as dangerous metal fragment found in sons school dinner

A woman was furious after she found out that a dangerous piece of metal was found in her son's school dinner, which could have ended in "disaster."

Sarah Purvis, the 31-year-old mum from Wallsend said that she's been "brought to tears" and was distraught when her six-year-old son Alfie came home from school and told her that during his lunch break he had found a broken piece of "rainbow shaped" metal in his ice cream.

The ice cream was distributed to school children by a member of canteen staff as a part of Denbigh Primary School's free meal service, Chronicle Live reports.

"Alfie said that when he first put the spoonful of food into his mouth, he thought he'd gotten lucky and found a big bit of chocolate in his ice cream," said Sarah.

"He's pretty switched-on kid, and so luckily he realised that it wasn't edible very quickly.

"He took it out of his mouth, but he didn't know what to do with it, so he just left it on the side of his plate.

"Alfie is a very polite child, and not the type of kid to cause a fuss or any anything, so he didn't say anything to a member of staff that day. I think he probably didn't want to bother anyone."

After alerting his mum that evening when he returned home, Sarah said that she took the issue up with the school directly the next day.

She was then passed over to contact the catering team department of North Tyneside Council, who are responsible for all canteen staff and equipment provided at Denbigh Primary School.

For the latest breaking news stories and incredible tales from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.

"From what Alfie had described, I thought at first that it might have been a bit of a metal whisk which was used to make the ice cream that the children were served.

"I was told after further investigations however that the school believed it to be part of the ice cream scoop, apparently some sort of clip, which had been used during mealtime that day.

"Later the council were able to confirm that the object found was part of a scoop used that day by a member of canteen staff.

"The scoop was actually found by a staff member to be broken during mealtime, so it was noted and disregarded, and they used a standard spoon to distribute the ice cream for the rest of lunch instead.

  • Christmas lockdown on the cards as Omicron Covid mutation 'could be in UK already'

"But the damage had already been done because a hazardous part of that piece of equipment had already ended up in my son's food.

"I'm upset because if staff were already aware that there was a broken food utensil, and it had been flagged up as an issue, why did they not recall all the children's food there and then in case there was a foreign object in one, or more, of the dishes served – which it turns out there was.

"It's obviously a huge choking risk, especially for children.

"It's just totally irresponsible to do that and we are so lucky that no child has actually been hurt by this incident."

Sarah said that when Alfie told her about the incident she "began to cry" over the idea that her son could have potentially come to harm while eating his lunch.

She also said that she was plagued with worries over what could have happened if another child, particularly a younger child at the school, had received Alfie's contaminated bowl of ice cream.

"A lot of children just simply shovel food in, and it's scary to think what could have happened if this had happened to a child younger than Alfie, who might not have had the same quick reaction which he did," Sarah said. "It doesn't bare to think about."

Sarah said after the incident she was "prepared to pull her son out" of Denbigh Primary School, but chose not to because of how much Alfie enjoys his classes and school friendships.

She did however insist on making him a packed lunch every day following the incident, which has now added extra stress to her mornings.

"I work and I'm also studying for my Master's degree in Psychology alongside, so not having to worry about Alfie's school meals was a relief," she said.

"We get free school meals because I'm a student, and I've always been really appreciative of that, but he won't be eating at that school again.

"The whole situation has put me under immense pressure. Financially too, affording packed lunches is another thing we now have to worry about. But I won't risk letting him eat in that canteen again."

A spokesperson for North Tyneside Council said: "As soon as we were made aware of the incident we acted quickly and asked all school kitchens to remove the ice cream scoops from their equipment.

"We have done a full evaluation of all our kitchens and re-trained staff, reminding them of their responsibilities to prevent this type of incident, which is extremely rare, happening again."

Source: Read Full Article