Murdered girl identified 62 years after her death through DNA technology

A murdered girl dubbed "Little Miss Nobody" has finally been identified with DNA technology following a chilling cold case which has gone unsolved for decades.

Sharon Lee Gallegos, 4, has at last been named 62-years after her body was dumped in an Arizona desert in the summer of 1960.

On Tuesday (March 15), police revealed that cutting DNA evidence and facial reconstruction helped uncover the mysterious death of the kidnapped child.

Cops said the 4-year-old was abducted while playing with other children behind her grandmother's house in Alamogordo, New Mexico on July 21.

Authorities initially believed she could be the victim after they discovered a decomposed corpse, ten days later in Congress, Arizona but the body was estimated to be around 7-years-old.

It was also reported that the clothing and footprint comparison didn't match which meant other leads had to be investigated, reports New York Post. 

“Footprint comparisons are not obviously how we do things now, but that was probably the best technology they had available to them at the time,” Yavapai County Lt Tom Boelts said at a press conference livestreamed by ABC15 Arizona.

Police said the mysterious case was picked back up in 2014, with officers depending on newspaper reports for the majority of their research.

The child's body was exhumed from her “Little Miss Nobody” tombstone the following year, but DNA testing has not progressed enough to produce a new lead.

In 2016, a 3D facial reconstruction helped provide a clue to what the girl looked like which led to a tip that it could be Gallegos.

Following a tip-off, Texas laboratory Othram conducted a privately funded DNA test that managed to match the girl’s genetic material with a living relative.

  • Monster mums, murderers and terrorists who mingle at UK's most infamous female jail

Yavapai County Sheriff David Rhodes said: “In 1960, people had no idea that DNA would even be a technology — they wouldn’t even know what to call it, it didn’t exist.

“But somehow, someway they did enough investigation to preserve, to document, to memorialize all the things that needed to occur, so that someday we could get to this point.”

Boelts said there is still more work to be conducted with this case.

“We would still like to identify the people who took her," he said.

"We would still like to answer the questions what happened in those 10 days from the time she was taken to the time she was found. So we are still working.”

To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up for one of our newsletters   here   .

Source: Read Full Article