Two young boys have lost their lives in a tragic house fire that occurred on Christmas morning after their mother and three siblings narrowly escaped the blaze.
De'Lon Wheeler, seven, and Damarion Wheeler, six, were found dead in the front living room of their home in Detroit, Michigan, US, just before 9am on Christmas Day.
Their mother, Demika Pinson, was forced to jump from the upstairs window of their two-storey home holding her three-year-old daughter. Two other children from their family survived.
A 10-year-old and an eight-year-old have been left with severe burns to their hands and face and they remain in the burns unit at Children's Hospital of Michigan in critical care.
Demika told US publication Detroit News that sons De'Lon and Damarion had fallen asleep on Christmas eve "by the tree because they were so excited about getting up".
She and her youngest daughter were taken to hospital but were not seriously injured.
The mother added: "It's unbelievable this is something to wake up to on Christmas."
The Wayne County Medical Examiner is expected to take custody of the bodies and perform autopsies.
'Danger to life' flood warning in UK – 1,300 residents encouraged to evacuate
Deputy fire commissioner, David Fornell, said: "The fire pretty well destroyed the house. Just horrible. It was gutted."
Currently, the cause of the devastating fire hasn't yet been determined, however, the firefighters reported that the home didn't have any working smoke detectors or central heating.
They found a number of space heaters around the home, and explained: "It could have been electrical, Christmas tree or kids playing with matches, but it's not suspicious.
"It's definitely a Christmas tragedy."
Fornell later added that the eight and 10-year-old appeared to have escaped from the first floor, the Detroit Free Press reported.
Detroit Fire Commissioner, Eric Jones, stated: "We suppressed the fire and unfortunately we lost two children.
"It's extremely tragic any time you lose a child, but any time you lose two children on Christmas, it's unimaginable."
A GoFundMe account has been set up to help the family going forward
Source: Read Full Article