Well respected footballer, 13, dies following medical emergency on the pitch

Don’t miss a thing! Sign up to the Daily Star’s newsletter

A young footballer has tragically died after suffering a “medical emergency” on the field.

Samuel Akwasi, 13, was playing for Nottinghamshire club FC Cavaliers, who play in the Young Elizabethan Football League, before the incident.

His club has described him as "very well respected by all his team members".

FC Cavaliers Green under 13’s team had been playing against WBCY FC Rossoneri under 13’s before the match was abandoned after Samuel suffered a "cardiac arrest".

Samuel’s sad passing was also announced on Facebookby Rob Harwood, admin of the Young Elizabethan Football League, with a post that read: “We are devastated to have to report the tragic events that unfolded yesterday morning.

“A young Cavaliers player, Samuel Akwasi, collapsed on the pitch after suffering a Sudden Cardiac Arrest.

“Despite the best efforts of those present and the quick application of a defibrillator along with the speedy response of the emergency services, Samuel sadly passed away in the QMC.

“On behalf of the YEL and our football community, our hearts and prayers all go out to his family and friends as well as FC Cavaliers at this awful time.”

Stay in the loop with all the Daily Star's latest news by signing up to our free newsletter here.

The sad news has triggered an outpouring of grief for the young man and one person posted: “Samuel Akwasi, thoughts are with your family…

“No kids should go to a football match and not be in this world in the evening, may god bless your soul.”

Whilst some else told the youngster to “fly high” and wrote: “Ahh no, so heartbreaking. My love and hugs go to his family, friends and football family.”

A third person praised the emergency services and said: “Condolences to the family and well done all those who acted swiftly with emergency aid.”

Sadly, it is not the only incident involving a young player dying on the pitch this year.

Footballer Dylan Rich, who was just 17, collapsed during a tie between West Bridgford and Boston at Regatta Way in September.

  • In the News

Source: Read Full Article