Coronavirus: WHO report 'can't be trusted' says Ellwood
When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters.Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer.Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights.You can unsubscribe at any time.
The World Health Organisation (WHO) sent teams to Wuhan and around China at the beginning of January to figure out the origin of COVID-19 as the report finally closed the lid of the lab leak conspiracy as being “extremely unlikely”. However, the teams who investigated Wuhan under Chinese supervision and a year after the outbreak failed to find anything else groundbreaking. Tobias Ellwood slammed the WHO and said he could not trust their report since it was inevitable they would come up with hardly anything due to their delay in taking action.
Speaking to Mark Dolan on his talkRADIO show, Mr Ellwood said: “The big question is if this happened again, would you allow and would the world allow individual countries, the state that is responsible an entire year to close its borders before you can go in and inspect?
“And I think the answer to that is very straight forward.
“And that is exactly what has happened here, so I don’t trust this report.
“I think it is the best report that the WHO could produce but ultimately when a pandemic starts like this, and remember China tried to close the story down straight away, you need to get in very early where ground zero was and who patient zero was.
“And only then can you get to the bottom of what is going on and, ultimately for the benefit of humanity, the loss of time that we had, a number of months, could have prevented so much of the devastation that we have endured over the last year.”
Teams from WHO concluded their four-week investigation into the origins of COVID-19 and found it was “extremely unlikely” the virus came from a lab.
Their research did not ultimately conclude that the disease came directly from bats but infected humans through an “intermediary species”.
They also believe Wuhan was not the sole origin of the disease and that disease transmission could have existed in frozen foods transported across China and are now looking into these claims.
WHO discuss coronavirus origin mission findings from Wuhan
Dr Peter Daszak, who was involved in the investigation, believes the WHO should now look at South East Asia as another potential origin spot.
He told BBC News: “We’ve done a lot of work in China and if you map that back it starts to point towards the border and we know that there is very little surveillance on the other side in the whole region of South East Asia.
“China is a very big place and South East Asia is a very big place.
“The supply chains to the Huanan seafood market were extensive, they were coming in from other countries, they were coming in from various parts of China, so to really trace that back it’s going to take some work.”
WHO will probe China’s claim Covid was IMPORTED through frozen food [INSIGHT]
China exposed as huge ‘military fortress’ uncovered by satellites [ANALYSIS]
EU ‘backed down to China and allowed coronavirus censorship’ [VIDEO]
The report also found COVID-19 was not being spread widely before the end of December 2019 when the disease began to be noticed by authorities.
In the UK, 1,052 people died from coronavirus on February 9 with 113,850 total deaths.
But the UK’s vaccination programme is one of the best in the world as nearly 13 million people have been vaccinated.
The Government is aiming to vaccinate 15 million people by the start of next week with projections they may hit their target sooner.
Source: Read Full Article