We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.
Iranian president Hassan Rouhani made the remarks in a live televised cabinet meeting on Sunday as the US declared United Nations sanctions on Iran were reinstated. The decision was made without the approval of the other members of the UN Security Council. This is the latest dispute between Iran and the US after a year of high alert, with January beginning with the assassination of Iranian general Qassam Soleimani by US forces.
Mr Rouhani said in his address Iran will inflict a “decisive response” against the US for acting like a bully to the UN and to itself.
The Iranian president congratulated the UN Security Council for resisting US pressure to snapback sanctions onto Iran.
He regarded the UN’s decision to condemn the US’ calls as an example Washington’s efforts to sanction Iran “has reached its definitive point of failure”, and it marked “a memorable day in the history of our country’s diplomacy”.
Mr Rouhani added Iran would “give a crushing response to America’s bullying”, and also said: “Today we can say the ‘maximum pressure’ of US against the Iranian nation, politically and legally, has turned to ‘maximum isolation’ for the US.”
Iran’s foreign minister also said earlier the US efforts to reimpose snapback sanctions was “futile” and not going to pass with the UN.
The ministry added in a statement: “The US approach is a major threat to the international peace and security and an unprecedented threat to the UN and the Security Council”.
“Iran emphasises that if the US, directly or with the co-operation of a number of its allies, makes any move in line with these threats, it will face a serious reaction and should account for all its dangerous consequences.”
A week earlier, Javad Zarif, foreign minister, called on European members to stand against “US economic terrorism” if they want “full implementation of the nuclear agreement”.
It followed the US going against the Security Council, with President Donald Trump’s administration claiming sanctions lifted as part of the 2015 nuclear deal have been reimposed.
Mr Trump pulled the US from the nuclear accord in 2018.
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Saturday: “The United States welcomes the return of virtually all previously terminated UN sanctions on the Islamic Republic of Iran.”
Every other member of the Security Council said the US has no legal standing to snapback sanctions on Iran after it left the accord.
World War 3 MAPPED: The SIX places where WW3 could break out in 2020 [MAP]
Iran holds terrifying military drills to confront ‘foreign threats’ [INSIGHT]
China, Russia and Iran sending spies to STEAL coronavirus vaccine [COMMENT]
After the UN members refused to reimpose the sanctions, Mr Pompeo attacked the council for their lack of actions.
The secretary said European leaders “haven’t lifted a finger” to halt arms sales to Iran.
He added to Fox News: “Arms sales, tanks, air defence systems, all of those, in a couple of weeks, would have been permitted to have been sold. And the Europeans have not joined us in this.”
He also said ahead of the UN’s decision to reject the US’ proposal there would be “consequences” if member didn’t back Washington’s sanctions.
A top Iranian general has also recently vowed revenge on the US for the assassination of Gen. Soleimani earlier this year.
Major-General Hossein Salami said in a speech directly addressing Mr Trump: “Our revenge for the martyrdom of our great general is certain. It is serious. It is real.
“We will hit those who were directly or indirectly involved in the martyrdom of this great man.”
Mr Trump also said earlier this week any Iranian revenge for the death of Gen. Soleimani would be responded in kind, and added: “If they hit us in any way … we’re going to hit them 1,000 times harder.”
Source: Read Full Article